Tuesday, March 13, 2007

It's Gonna be a Long Update

Because I am a loser and couldn't find the venue for North by Southwest this evening, otherwise I would be rockin' out to Margot and the Nuclear So & So's and Pigeon John. Which is weird that they are performing in the same place because they are so different, but I was REALLY looking forward to seeing them. oh well.

Sorry for the long hiatus, I was hoping to update my blog while in San Francisco, but I hardly spent any time on the computer. I had an awesome time with my boyfriend (I guess it's time to give him a name- HB). We see each other about once a month, and this has been going on for about 6 years now. I used to worry about lots of things concerning our relationship (what would happen once we actually ended up in the same place, are we insane, why didn't I apply to more med schools near SF, what if he meets a hot California girl, etc..) but I've stopped most of that now because it is both unhelpful and unneccessary (I think).

I arrived in SF, and we immediately headed up to South Lake Tahoe. We stayed at a discount motel, which was surprisingly clean and even had a fridge and communal hot tub. Saturday morning, we headed to the slopes at Kirkwood, where it was packed! with both snow and people. Saturday was not a good day. Even though I had taken snowboarding lessons in college and have gone about once a year since then, I had a hard time remembering how to do my S-turns. And, since the snow was mostly packed powder, it hurt to fall, and I fell aLOT. My butt took a brutal beating, and at times I teared up in pain. I hated being the whiny, wimpy girlfriend, but HB was so patient and encouraging. He really deserves a big sloppy kiss for his efforts.

Fortunately, I got better the next day and continued to improve. On Sunday, we snowboarded at Heavenly, which has the some of the best views of the Lake. I lost my cell phone on the slopes, someone found it and returned it for me only to lose it again the next day, and I wasn't so lucky the second time around. After a half day of snowboarding, we took a scenic drive to a mountain town called Truckee near North Lake Tahoe. We stayed at the River Street Inn, which is this little bed and breakfast by the river. HB went all out in the planning. He's the best! (Okay, since I feel like I am gushing a little too much over HB, let me just interject here some of the downsides of hanging out with him: He LOVES farting and toilet humor. He is obsessed with pooping and all things dealing with poop. Ever since he heard about the "dutch oven", I know he has been dying to do this to me, but he knows better. While this makes for some major stinkiness, there are some upsides, like I don't feel that weird about pooping or farting at his place, since he does it all the time around me)

Since this post is already too long, I will save the rest for tomorrow.

No comments: