Saturday, July 7, 2007

Being in Lab Blows

Just finishing up some labwork today- transfected neurons with plasmids, converted some whole cell recording data, split HEK cells, made fresh 4% paraformaldehyde fix, and am just overwhelmed with how much lab blows these days. I used to really enjoy doing this stuff, but it has become such a chore.
I am also unhappy at how some things are SO inefficient. For example to record from neurons, we use a program called Labview to log all the data. Labview is great, but unfortunately, the person who programmed it for the patch rigs...is the most unorganized programmer ever. This leads to oodles of time wasted on unintuitive clicking of random buttons with a crappy mouse, which leads to neck and mind and soul strain. So, it took me an hour to just extract my data from the program and convert it into an analyzable datafile. And, no the data isn't even analyzed yet. I will have 50+ hours analyzing miniEPSC data, which is just retarded beyond belief. Sometimes I just want to scream!! WHY?!!!! When I have my own lab, it will be the model of efficiency. seriously.
Okay, well I feel better after ranting: it also helps that I can leave in 15 minutes. I really need a break.

No comments: